Time to replace your old RV refrigerator? Or maybe you’re kitting out your new RV? A fridge freezer is arguably the single most important appliance in your RV. So it’s critical to take your time researching and choosing the right unit for your needs. Here are the benefits of a 3 way fridge freezer in your RV.
Many RV owners choose a 3 way fridge freezer. The reason is simple: they offer maximum convenience on the road because they can run off 12 volt power, mains electricity, and LPG. Instead of a compressor, a 3 way unit uses a gas flow heat exchange system in the back of the fridge, which essentially removes the heat rather than creating the cold.
There are lots of reasons to choose a 3 way fridge freezer for your RV. We’ve been talking to our customers and they told us 6 benefits you can’t afford to ignore:
1. Runs for weeks on one bottle of gas
When you’re staying out in national parks, stopping at a rest area, or bush camping, bottled gas is a very efficient and convenient way to power your fridge. In fact, your 3 way fridge freezer can run for approximately 2-3 weeks on a 9kg gas bottle before it needs refilling. So, you can still do a big shop and enjoy chilled food and drink in the most remote spots.
2. Runs off 240v when mains power is available
Chances are you’ll spend time in some caravan sites along the way. Often you only need to pay a little extra for a powered site. Make use of the mains electricity for your 3 way fridge freezer and it will run efficiently.
3. Runs off a 12 volt battery when driving
When you’re back on the road, gas and mains power are no longer options for your fridge. But there’s no need to worry about all that freshly caught fish spoiling, because your 3 way fridge freezer can run on the 12 volt power from your RV or car battery. Just be sure to switch it to gas or mains when you’re stopped for extended periods so you don’t drain your car battery!
4. Super quiet
Because a 3 way fridge freezer uses absorption technology rather than a compressor, it has minimal moving parts and is exceptionally quiet. Far quieter than your fridge freezer at home. Of course, at home you’re not sleeping in your kitchen – in your RV, nothing is ever that far away from you, so quiet operation is a bigger advantage than you might initially realise.
5. Extremely low maintenance
The same reason 3 way fridge freezers are quiet means they are also low maintenance. No need to worry about lots of routine maintenance while on the road – once installed, they pretty much look after themselves.
6. Can last for up to 20 years before replacement
When you choose a top brand, like Dometic, you can rest assured that your 3 way fridge freezer is made to withstand the demands of being on the road in an RV. They are designed to take the bumps and knocks, deal with the harsh Australian climate and still last for years. In fact, a 3 way fridge freezer will often only need replacing after about 20 years, which is often about double the life span of their compressor (or 2 way) counterparts.
Of course it depends on which model you choose and how well you look after your RV fridge. But that’s where the manufacturer comes in. With reputable brands like Dometic, you get national service agent and spare parts support, which is a must-have if you’re planning lots of long road trips.
Its worth noting a couple of extra things with a 3 way fridge freezer:
- Absorption 3 way refrigerators need to be installed and certified by a qualified and licensed gas-fitter, as improperly or illegally installed products will void the manufacturer’s warranty, and could pose a safety risk.
- Absorption 3 way fridge freezer models are not quite as effective as compressor driven RV fridges in hotter temperatures. For example, in the north end of Australia in tropical environments, Absorption fridges are not able to get down to the lower temperatures that compressor driven fridges can.
- Absorption fridges are best run on gas. You can run them on 12v power when your vehicle is moving, but once your vehicle stops, it is best to use either 240V power or gas, because they will drain your battery quickly if kept on 12V draw.