If you’ve got a 4WD, you’re no stranger to using your car battery and alternator to power up your 12V accessories. But when you’re on a big 4WD adventure, you need a trustworthy power source you can rely on to keep you powered up for days on end. Here we reveal the top three generators on the market.
Before we get to the good stuff, let’s look at the benefits of using a generator on your 4WD adventure:
- Convenience: You can power most of your camping equipment like fridges, lights, television and other forms of electrical equipment without killing your 4WD’s battery.
- Emergency charger: The most common use for a camping generator is recharging your deep-cycle battery packs (via a battery charger), which run all your creature-comfort 12-volt appliances.
- Lightweight: Camping generators are built to be lightweight and compact, so they’re easy to move from vehicle to campsite and back again.
- Quiet: These days, generators are built with sound muffling features so you don’t need to worry about disturbing the neighbours – human or animal.
- Fuel Efficient: today’s camping generators are inverter generators. Meaning they not only produce the cleanest power, but they also adjust their fuel consumption according to the load required so you maximise fuel efficiency.
Here’s our pick of the best 4WD generators for your next adventure:
Weighing in at only 8.5 kilograms, this generator packs away so neatly into your vehicle, you’ll forget it’s there! But don’t be fooled by its size – the Lectron 800w gives out a maximum 1kVA and can run for 4 hours continuously. It’s a great option for battery charging and powering sensitive electronics thanks to the Australian Approved 15amp outlet. There are other safety features too, such as low oil level warning, full overload circuit protection and automatic tipping shutdown. Designed for infrequent use, this is a good value for money option at only $319. Does not come with a service agent network like the premium brands.
Yamaha produce the quietest and lightest camping generators in the market, making them extremely popular in the 4×4 world. At only 12.7kg, the Yamaha EF1000iS it’s the lightest 1000 watt portable generator you can buy. Plus it only produces a super silent 50 decibels of noise at normal operating levels – again, lowest in its class. It’s market leading smart throttle is extremely accurate and automatically adjusts the engine speed to maximize fuel efficiency. At a quarter load, you will get an impressive 12 hours of power before having to top refuel! This model is one of the most popular by 4wd enthusiasts, particularly as a back option to solar for recharging battery packs. You can see how it stacks up to its Honda 1000 watt generator counterpart in this article here.
You knew it was coming – the Yamaha EF2000iS is the number one generator for your 4WD road trip. If you want a backup in case your starter battery goes flat, as well as have the extra power to directly run your favourite camping appliances, this generator is your best choice. Even though it produces a maximum of 2000 watts, it is famously quiet, producing only 52 decibels thanks to that Yamaha Noise Block Sound Reduction System. This makes it the quietest generator in it class.
This generator features inverter technology so power produced is pure and without fluctuation – perfect for sensitive electronics. It’s also incredibly fuel-efficient like its little brother thanks to the Yamaha Smart Throttle. And if your mate has the same generator, join them together for almost double the output when you’re out on the road! Again, you can review this unit against the popular Honda EU20i generator in this comparison article here.
So if you’re planning your next 4WD road trip, make sure you’ve got the best generator to power up your adventure. Check out the complete range at My Generator.