Wondering how to get grime and dirt off your concrete driveway, patio or pathways? Using a quality high pressure washer is the most effective ways to remove oil, grease, grime, and most stains from concrete. In fact, you can erase years of wear and tear from your concrete in a matter of minutes.
Not only does a high pressure washer remove dirt and stubborn stains, it can also remove any bacteria and fungus that may be lurking in your paving and driveway.
Here are 10 tips to help you get the best results for using a high pressure washer:
1. For tough to remove stains, use a pressure washer with a rating of at least 2500 psi and a flow rate of at least 11-12 litres per minute. It goes without saying that you should read proper the manual of your pressure washer before starting – even if you have owned a pressure washer before.
2. Start by sweeping debris, excess dirt and dust from the concrete surface. You want the washer to work on on the stuff that can’t be easily removed.
3. Cover any surrounding exterior walls and doors with plastic sheeting if necessary. This will help protect them from flying debris, as well as any accidental paint removal if you get a bit fast and loose with the high pressure washer.
4. For a deep clean, spray the concrete with degreaser, keeping a distance of around 15cm from the surface. Scrub the degreaser into the concrete using a stiff brush or attachment tool, if your pressure washer came with one. (Also see below ‘Last words of advice’ for especially tough to clean surfaces).
5. Spray detergent over the entire concrete area, using the designated tip and spray wand. Always protect your hands with safety gloves, then apply by holding down the spray handle and keeping a consistent distance up to 30cm from the concrete. Move the wand back and forth smoothly and overlap each stroke slightly. Let sprayed detergent sit on surface for 5 minutes.
6. Let the detergent sit for 5 minutes (unless instructed otherwise) to ensure all grease and dirt is well and truly broken down.
7. Use your high pressure washer to clean down the surface until all traces of grime, grease and oily deposits are completely removed. Again, work your way back and forth from one side to the other, overlapping each stroke.
8. Need to remove tougher stains, like paint? Hold the tip approximately 10cm from the surface and move with slower strokes.
9. Finally, use a roller brush to apply a waterproof sealer from the middle to all edges of the concrete.
10. Wait 24 hours before using the surface to park your car etc.
Last words of advice?
– For extra help on cleaning larger areas or especially tough to clean surfaces, you can accessorize many high pressure washer models with additional components to help get the job done:
- Turbo heads / turbohammer nozzles / powerspeed nozzles – This kind of nozzle spins a zero degree spray in a wider circle at 3000 rotations per minute. The spinning water jet hits the surface area from multiple angles, quickly breaking down the substance you want removed. As a result, turbo nozzles can cut cleaning time significantly. Very popular for concrete/paving cleaning to rid of moss, mold, stains paint etc.
- Commercial Surface Cleaner – designed for fast cleaning time of driveways, warehouse, floors, large paved areas, etc. It is easy to use, has minimal splash (ideal around buildings, shop fronts, paths) and is ergonomic in design. Similar to the turbo nozzles, but limits splash.
– If you are buying a new high pressures washer, then it is recommended you opt for a high quality brand with a solid warranty and national service support network. Its not worth going down the path of finding the cheapest pressure washer on eBay that has no brand recognition and no service agent backing. Not only will a quality brand have superior performance in areas such as design, ease of use, reliability and output, but you’ll experience a much longer life with a reputable washer as opposed to a cheap no name product.
Not sure which high pressure washer to choose for the best results? Check out our FULL RANGE HERE.